Trinity United Methodist Church
Friday, May 24, 2013
Love. Serve. Grow.
Trinity Untied Methodist Church began as an outpost Sunday School of First Methodist Church in February, 1959. A small group of First Methodist members was inspired by their pastor, Reb. W.D. (Bill) Comperry, to establish this oupost in the fast growing northwest section of the city of Murfreesboro, in the hopes that it would evolve into a full-fledged church.
Visitation teams were organized from among First Church members and thorough canvas was made of the north side area in Debember, 1958. With planning assistance from First Church leadership and the Commision on Education, and with the agreement of Jack Goodrich, who agreed to serve as Sunday School Superintendent, an organizational meeting took place on January 18, 1959. The city of Murfreesboro gave permission for the Mitchell-Nelson Elementary School to be used as the site of the Sunday School oupost. On January 25, 1959, the fist assembly met, totaling 53 from First Church and the community.
Members of the Sunday School submitted a list of names for the new anticipated church which was surely to come out the thriving outpost. A total of 21 names were presented for a vote, among them Northside methodist church and Cokesbury Methodist Church. However, the name that enjoyed the majority of support was Trinity Methodist.
At the Annual conference in June, 1959 a formal request to recognize Trinity was made. As a result, a part time minister, Rev. Joel Underwood, was assigned to Trinity, the balance of his time to be devoted to the Wesley Foundation at Middle Tennessee State College. Trinity officially became a church on September 13, 1959. One hundred thirteen were in attendance and 56 charter members were received on that day. Charter membership in the new church was closed on January 3, 1960 and certificates were presented to the 90 charter members. Thirty-five members transferred from First Methodist; 33 came from other Methodist churches, 6 came from other denominations, and 16 joined by profession of faith.